Why a food drive?
Our figures estimate that last year over 30,000 people received food relief via Bendigo Foodshare and our community agencies across Central Victoria. That’s about 17% of the population, and these figures continue to rise.
- Many coming forward for help have never had to reach out before in their lives
- 1 in 3 people struggling to meet their food needs are new to the situation
- 64% of people experiencing food insecurity have a job
As demand has increased, this has put pressure on Bendigo Foodshare’s operations:
- Local donations have decreased by 46% since July 2020. Government support to purchase food during COVID helped, but this funding has ceased.
- Inflationary pressures, rising costs of fuel are increasing the costs of sourcing and distributing food.
Accessing donated long-life pantry food is tough for Bendigo Foodshare, and purchasing it is expensive. A successful food drive is to have our donation bins FULL with as much donated items as we can. At present we need around 5,000kg to help fulfil the needs of local agencies distributing food.
This is why your support to Bendigo Foodshare is more important than ever.
If you are able to get involved in our June Food Drive or make a tax-time donation, it would make a difference to those in our community doing it tough.